Actually using the other room in my apartment I've been neglecting & left full of junk!
Petit Zinc 2006
An interesting drink, with the odd combo of vodka, Cointreau, sweet vermouth & orange juice, from Paul Harrington's book Cocktail (the one with the (duh) lovely design by Doug Bowman)
from another angle
Pretty little pool of the juice from the cherry in the bottom.
Note also the size of the drink as compared to those enormous ones you get in many bars these days. Better quality, less quantity is, in drink as in food, a wise plan.
last day of September 2006
A nice poem from poetry.com passed along to me by my Uncle Larry:
I once knew a CEO who
Carried a statuette of Ganesh
A foot-and-a-half high, hard and bronze
He lugged it to remember God
It always seemed to me that Tom
Should try to find a plush toy Ganesh
God should not be so cumbersome
I'd greet Tom's comings and goings
From my omniscient position of receptionist
Relaying his messages, as he came in from the parking lot
Often empty-handed, asking if he forgot God
Copyright ©2005 Mary Williams
post-library, post-Samovar Tea Lounge, at home relaxing a bit
Saturday afternoon at Samovar 2006
White Tea, edamame (they'll provide a savory side treat option off menu if you ask nicely), a sesame ball, Don't Make Me Think and annotations in progress.
At the library in the Castro, about to stop procrastinating on buckling down to a little work.
out for a walk 2006
Castro Street Fair tomorrow
Pretty flowers along Castro Street
Swizzle sticks galore!
At The Other Shop, on Divisadero between Oak & Page
Desk ornament with pin-up girls, polite side...
...and the naughty side
arcane robes for sale at The Other Shop
Divisadero between Oak & Page
such a selection from the past...
Welcome! to the old future
Great lunch with a good friend, delicious little cappuchino to sip, and writing requirements documents: Friday afternoon done right.
woot! shut down powerbook, turn upside down, go take bath, afterwards restart while holding down eject button & out comes the disk. Yay!
Trying to make my Powerbook believe it has a DVD drive again so I can get the fucking Netflix disk that appears to have killed it out.
Being a dork who doesn't want to go to bed when she has to get up an hour early.
QotD: I'm Grateful For... 2006
Let's make a list. What are 20 things in your life that you're grateful for?
Inspired by wyndslash.vox.com.
(okay, Voxers, it's really too tricky to tell where the quoted text ends and my post should begin. Time to solve this.)
1. The way you can find cool things about people everywhere around the world. Take, for example, some of the folks in this great series of pictures by Michael Wolf from Hong Kong: http://photomichaelwolf.com/100x100/2. How fun a mild alcohol high can be. Mmm, a Knob Creek Old Fashioned, 2oz of boozy delight!
3. My sweetie Joe is the best and most wonderful fellow I could imagine. And I mean fellow in all kinds of senses, not just a good boyfriend, but also a pleasing traveling companion, also a foodie and a geek and an urban explorer. A like-minded soul.
4. My friend Fil knows how to relax me and make me laugh, and not just with the great collection of cartoons on DVD.
5. My friend Robin takes the most amazing portraits. One of these days I'll get myself in front of her wonder camera.
6. Avocados taste fucking incredible.
7. Dark chocolate is even better.
8. The view from my windows makes me smile, especially the little twinkling lights over the valley under the Sutro Tower at night.
9. I have never and will never regret having bought a leather chair & ottoman that cost as much then as a good laptop computer. Luxury, you're a great piece of furniture.
10. Indoor plumbing. Oh yes, traveling, especially in Africa, reminds one of the value of this.
11. Also, while I'm at it, a (currently) endless supply of safe & good water piped directly into my house. I'm not taking this for granted.
12. Good writing implements. Is it just me or have pens gotten better & better over the last 30some years? Thanks, Pilot.
13. Dry feet when it's chilly. You only miss this when you step in a puddle, but really, mmm, dry warm feet.
14. Electricity! It's night and I don't have to go to bed yet because of it being too dark! Go, electricity!
15. The Web. Hello, friends!
16. My Grandma Susie who I love all the time. 90 years old and still going strong. I got an email from her the other day, how cool is that?!
17. My mum Jinx who I was so lucky to be born to. What a cool person to know and, y'know, if ya gotta have relations who want to stay closely connected, what a blessing liking them is.
18. Digital cameras. Click click click click click. "Oh that one came out good, I'll save that." and no film processing costs - hooray!
19. My longtime pals B.J. & Beverly who are there for me whenever I need them and who keep me happy - and reminded that sometimes I just gotta go eat that delicious greasy fish & chips at the Edinburgh Castle pub!
20. Hot showers. Wow do they feel good.
If you know me, you know I could go on and on and on and on and on... I love this world, with all its faults. I wouldn't trade it for anything or, as I believe is the only option, nothing.
My sweetheart Joe is flying out of Thailand to India for the next stage of his great adventure. It's a good thing I've got such cool stuff going on at work o
Aww, birthday hugs to Courtney!
Wanting Derek to write that book.
Um... know your market? 2006
This is in Castro Muni Station - you know, one of the transit points in the world with the highest percentage of gay and lesbian riders?
So wtf is up with the "Women & Men" motif?
"Come to the Hayes! Except you queers..."? Weird.
[Amused now, in 2014, as a resident of Hayes Valley to note that the man with fancy shoes is James Sime of Isotope, whom I know is in a long-term heterosexual relationship. So much for stereotypes!]
Straight couples who have romantic dinners together, please buy our condos!
Dudes, buying out almost every billboard in Castro station for THIS ad campaign? WTH?
Just some gal walkin' around in this one
No people in this one
odd The Hayes ad campaign blitz in Castro Muni
I think this one is the straight couple on a date again
More corporate heterophilia
Why is this ad campaign blitz all over *Castro* muni station?
[Looks like I kept adding more photos to this collection up to 9/30/2006.]
so glad to be home after a day of conferencing - fun, but tired & ready for sleep
Another delicious dinner is proving to me that I can eat less if it's really pretty.
a delicious dinner! 2006
this all came together in about 15 or 20 minutes
I took a fast walk before lunch. I feel great!
chugging along through a busy Monday at work
Nemo repente fuit turpissimus.
(No one ever suddenly became depraved)
eating greens and managing my finances
wishing it were Saturday instead of Sunday